Monday, November 23, 2015

Mission Accomplished

To the 2 people that probably read this blog, this post connects back to my "A Mug in Ceramics Class" post.

Imagine being in your mid 30's. You've had the last 30 something years to build a life. You've grown closer with your family, you've made new friends with hat used to be complete strangers. You have pretty much completely built your while life, and you expect it to just stay like that until you die.

That wasn't the case for my parents.

My parents dropped absolutely everything they had when they were in their mid 30's. All their friends, their families, coworkers, everything, just gone. Why did they do this? Just so that my brother and I could have a good education. We moved around all of these countries that I've talked about before on this blog so that my brother and I could receive the education they thought we deserved.

Colombia was not a place my parents thought my brother and I could succeed. They had lived their while life there, and they wanted us to do much better than they did.

So, in pursuit of an education, the final goal seemed to be that my brother and I get into a good college. There's farther goals after that, like a Masters degree for me and a PhD for my brother.

2 years ago when my brother got admitted into the University of California, Davis to study genetics, the first half of the final goal was reached.

After this, I was the only one left that needed to complete this goal. There was and extreme amount of pressure on me. I couldn't disappoint my parents. They literary dropped EVERYTHING for me. My mom has suffered since the day we left Colombia just so that I could have a good life. I feel a need to please her by being successful.

On November 13, 2015, the goal was reached.

I was offered admission into the communications program at Michigan State University.

When I found this out, I simply screamed. I let out the biggest scream in my entire life. I didn't know what else to do, so I just kept screaming of joy.

A lot of people are thinking, why is this kid so happy, it's just one college. But it's not just one college, it is what my parents gave their lives to. My friends have been admitted to college, and they've been happy but nobody understands the joy that I felt when I opened that page saying I was admitted.

It was honestly one of the best days of my lives, because as I talk to my cousins that are my age living in Colombia, they're sitting there dreaming they had my life. They dream that they lived in the United States and received the education that is offered here. I have this opportunity, and I just expanded it even more.

So, the goal has been reached.My parents dropped their lives for this. And my brother and I have finally finished it off.

Mission accomplished.

Now I think...my parents can go back to Colombia. Soon I'm turning 18, I'll be an adult. They can go back and finish their lives off. They'll never be able to gain back the years that my brother and I took away from them, but I would be completely okay with it if they felt the need to go back and live the lives they initially planned on living.

I love my parents more than anything, and I am forever in debt with them on giving me this opportunity that not many people get. So, thank you to you two.

No comments:

Post a Comment